Tuesday, June 29, 2010

First Day in Morocco



Today was my first full day in Morocco. I spent the day getting all the important details worked out: SIM card for my cell phone, wireless internet modem so I can travel and blog, meeting new friends and catching up with old friends. The weather is beautiful and the people are generous and friendly. I will have to get used to their creative use of car horns, but other than that, I am feeling very much at home.

I am staying in Kenitra as my home base. I have been reading about the history of Morocco: Kenitra was founded in 1913, the early days of the French Protectorate. Kenitra was known as Port Lyautey from 1933 to 1955, named after General Lyautey who settled and essentially governed Morocco for the French. There used to be an American military base here. Kenitra is about 40 km to the north of Rabat on the Atlantic coast.

For my one real outing today, I went with friends to a café overlooking the Oued Sebou (the river that flows through Kenitra to the Atlantic).

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to Morocco :)

    Kacem blogger and Human Rights activist.
    http://www.talkmorocco.net/articles/author/kacem-el-ghazzali/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kacem. Shukran! I will look at your blog. Thank you for following my experiences in your beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are having tons of fun!! I will keep you in my prayers for a safe time!! Enjoy your time with you children while you are there!! Miss you already!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am finally reading your blog after months. I am sorry that I wasn't as present this summer. I am so proud of you for the amazing work that you did. Truly a special summer. I love you so much, Mom. XO

    ReplyDelete