Monday, August 2, 2010

Madrid, One Night

I am now on my way back home and I have an overnight lay-over in Madrid. I have driven through Madrid before, but I am not really familiar with all that Madrid has to offer. I will be returning in March 2011 on a student tour of Europe, so I don't really feel the need to hit the major tourist sites or museums in the short time I am here.

Come to think of it, I was already in Madrid earlier this year with Caleb, Audrey, and Kris! ---- Madrid, New Mexico! (Ha!)

I am staying in a nice neighborhood not far from the Madrid airport. Since I don't feel like pushing myself too much, I decided that the best way to appreciate this short time in Spain would be to have an authentic gastronomic experience. I asked the front desk at my hotel (the girls working the desk are from France --- what luck!) and they recommended a restaurant around the corner. Unfortunately, that restaurant is closed on Mondays, which I found out once I got there. Determined to have a good dining experience, I wandered the small side streets and found many quaint restaurants. Like in France, they post their menus outside, so I was able to easily determine the quality of the restaurant. After about half an hour of wandering, I came upon a restaurant called "Okela" on the main avenue (Avd. de Logroño) which has an awning over its veranda that reads "Cocina Tradicional del Norte" --- with my French, Italian, and Latin skills, I knew that meant "Traditional Cuisine of the North". The menu was pricy, but I could forgo the desert and stay within my budget. So, I went in.

It was about ten minutes 'til 8pm and I was their first customer of the evening. Apparently, that is still early for Spaniards --- it was early for me, too, since I eat late like most Europeans. Having the waiter to myself was a blessing because he only spoke Spanish and I speak anything but Spanish! Actually, he kept complimenting me on my Spanish (which I know the Spanish teachers at my school would really find funny) but I was really speaking Italian with a few bastardized Spanish terms I like to think I know how to use. (Pidgin Spanish?)

The experience at this restaurant was simply delightful. I loved the food, the ambiance, the service, and the ease with which it all fell into place.

Here is the view of the restaurant as I sat down to order:
I decided to keep my order simple: salad as an appetizer followed by steak and potatoes with a locally brewed beer. 

While I waited for my order, they gave me warm sausages prepared in a style particular to Northern Spain with homemade bread that was dusted with flour, a crisp crust and an air-filled, fluffy inside. Here's the picture:

The salad came with two parts: A warm, grilled salad with green beens, zucchini, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, and olive oil AND a cold salad with field greens, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic, and rock salt. Here's the picture:
 
The cut of steak I ordered was top of the sirloin. I asked that it be medium well-done (that's the American in me, I suppose). It was accompanied with boiled potatoes coated in butter. The sirloin was sprinkled with the most interesting salt crystals. As I ate the meat, I really enjoyed its savory flavor. I was reminded of a Mexican friend who lived in France when I lived there. He once told me that a great steak doesn't need a steak sauce, rather, the grill of the steak, the seared fat from the steak, and a bit of salt should suffice, provided the meat was well cured and a good cut. His comment from over 20 years ago came back to me as I ate. It perfectly described my meal tonight: Good cut of meat, well cured, seared fat strips to enhance the flavor, and delicious salt crystals. I savored every bite:
The waiter was such a professional --- as one expects in Europe and longs for elsewhere! He took my picture:
As I left, I got his picture, too. If you are ever in Madrid, go to the Barajas stop on line 8 of the Metro and walk about 400 yards to Okela. Say hi to David for me:
Okela, Avd, de Logroño, 126. 28042 Madrid eltxoko@eltxoko.es 

1 comment:

  1. You make me long to return to Madrid! The food, the wine, the wonderful people! I'm so glad you had such a positive experience in one of my favorite cities.

    ReplyDelete