Friday, July 2, 2010

Cora (Le football) [Soccer]

(My view of the game from my seat at the back of the cafe. I'm the only woman here.)

Today is the first day of World Cup Quarterfinals, so at 3:00 pm and at 7:30 pm local Moroccan time, all things come to a halt. All the men, most of the kids and a few of the women are watching the games. (The rest of the women will greatly enjoy a break from the demands of their families.) Traffic is light. The normally busy and bustling streets are vacated. Wait! What's that noise, the collective cheer that resounds through the neighborhoods whenever a goal is scored. How sweet it is to experience this worldwide event in a country that is passionate about soccer, what the locals call "cora" (meaning "ball", 'cause this is the only ball they care about), even though their national team didn't come close to making the cut.

In this first game today, it's Netherlands vs. Brazil. It appears most of the locals are cheering for the Netherlands --- perhaps because there are so many Moroccan immigrants in the Netherlands. Or, maybe because Brazil has been portrayed as such a heavy favorite so they are rooting for the perceived underdog. Really, no one cares, it's just great to watch this beloved game being played at such a high, competitive level.

So, I've ordered my delicious mint green tea. I'm enjoying the experience, soaking it all in, and counting on another similar experience later this evening when Uruguay takes on Ghana. For that match, I can guarantee that all Moroccans will be pulling for Ghana --- the only African nation to make it to the Quarter Finals.

(My individual pot of mint tea.)

4 comments:

  1. That tea looks delicious! I love fresh mint tea made with real mint. This post reminded me of the year that France hosted and won the World Cup. I was in Paris and it was something to see! It's so amazing how everything comes to a halt in probably every country in the world but the U.S. But we're getting very into it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have been in Paris in 1998! What an awesome memory to have. They didn't show so well this year...Have you made it to Basque country yet? I read a great book once written by a Basque from Montana, reminiscing on the ancestors and their history. I wish I remembered the title. Can't wait to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower of your blog and enjoying it immensely. I went to Cameroon last summer on a Fulbright-Hays grant and want to repeat the experience to a northern African country as soon as I can. It was wonderful. I hope your trip is as wonderful as it sounds like it is going to be. Bravo et bon courage, MadameAuMaroc!

    ReplyDelete